"Spin" in aviation training: a "stall" or loss of lift, a subsequent nose-down spin, the specific actions required for recovery, and the feeling, after recovery, that you could tackle absolutely anything!

Thursday 13 March 2014

Particles


I watched the movie, Particle Fever, the other day. It's a fantastic glimpse of the excitement around CERN's Large Hadron Collider. I loved the movie, and it's not because I understand exactly what the physicists are talking about in it. I know they're looking for the "Higgs Bosun," and I know that the size of it has to do with super symmetry as opposed to the multiverse: 126 Gev(or 124?). I watched as Peter Higgs, namesake of this God particle, tears up at having the discovery of his idea made in his lifetime. But I think the thing that got me, was that all of the physicists in the room, in the building, and around the world, belong to something important. When the results were announced, the cheer that went up in the room was tremendous. I envy the people involved in that. I envy anyone involved in anything so meaningful, where you are really a part of something. I would love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment