"Spin" in aviation training: a "stall" or loss of lift, a subsequent nose-down spin, the specific actions required for recovery, and the feeling, after recovery, that you could tackle absolutely anything!

Sunday 4 May 2014

Sailing

I am on the sidewalk unlocking my bike from it's iron post. It's windy out, gusting enough to be noticed. I see an older lady, maybe 80, walking towards me pushing a walker in front of her. She is moving with care and intent, gripping her handlebars in the same way you might hold a tray of cookies and milk. There is a younger lady walking behind her. I assume they are mother and daughter. The older lady has a serious look on her weathered face. She was, I imagine, quite beautiful in her day. She seems somewhat bewildered now.  I stand up from my tinkering and make eye contact with her.

 "It's such a windy day," I say. "You should rig up a sail on that thing and you could sail right down the street."

Her face lights up and she laughs, nodding her head as she continues past. The daughter laughs too.

 "Yes, it would be a good day for sailing."

 Wouldn't that be so nice.

1 comment:

  1. This feels like the beginning of a short film -- in which the lady, on your suggestion, takes off and sails through the city skies. What a great kids' book that would make! xoTracy

    ReplyDelete