"Spin" in aviation training: a "stall" or loss of lift, a subsequent nose-down spin, the specific actions required for recovery, and the feeling, after recovery, that you could tackle absolutely anything!

Wednesday 16 May 2018

Honda Odyssey, Odyssey


I am cleaning my van, loading it, and Connor, my younger son, and I, are leaving for the west coast. I'm not leaving for good, although anything could happen, and frankly, I would be thrilled if it did, but for the first part of the journey, I am deliverer of this fine young man and his double-bass to his summer gig; cooking in the Lake O'Hara Lodge, just north of Lake Louise, and also continuing his ever growing/changing relationship with the notes that sing out of that bass of his. His real father and I are spit-happy to have Connor out of the city and into God's country. I am happier to be able to drive him.


This will be a unique journey. We're not heading for his summer address first-thing.  No, my friends, Connor and I have been invited to spend a few days on Quadra Island, off the northern end of Vancouver Island. I was not familiar with Quadra, but upon a little bit of research, leapt up and vigorously accepted the kind offer. I am not a fool.


We've got time before Connor starts work, so we're going to voyage into the rich, Canadian landscapes off of the main routes and see what there is, and, if the rumours of there being excellent pie are true.  Once I slow down, after Quadra, and kick Connor out of the van to begin his chopping, simmering, and reducing, I plan to blow around a little. They say that the best way to find yourself is to get lost. Personally, I have gotten lost through most of southern, and central Ontario, to the point where I expect it, but lately, my soul has been demanding more. An eight-thousand kilometre meander through the country that I love dearly might be just the thing. 










1 comment:

  1. Yay! So nice to see you posting again, Suzanne! I've been missing your wonderful way with words.

    And so excited for you and your road trip with Connor! Have a blast, my friend. xo

    ReplyDelete