"Spin" in aviation training: a "stall" or loss of lift, a subsequent nose-down spin, the specific actions required for recovery, and the feeling, after recovery, that you could tackle absolutely anything!

Wednesday 31 August 2011

More "Tati."

 Jacques Tati's movie "Playtime" is the featured DVD on the "New Yorker" website this week.  This is strange because I just watched it again, last week.  And last night, my older son and I were walking along the Danforth in Toronto.  My son is at a very cynical age where he really doesn't like people very much.  I described to him a comment that Tati had made in an interview about the "real entertainment being out on the street."  I explained that if you just watch people, without judging, you will see so much more.  There is sweetness and buffoonery right there, walking down the street.  Sure enough, I directed my son's attention to a man walking toward us with black shoes and socks, awkward shorts, with all of his attention on his Iphone.  We HAD to laugh.  I think the trick is to really "watch" people for more than a split second.  Give them some real time and you'll be surprised how much you can see!




No comments:

Post a Comment