"Spin" in aviation training: a "stall" or loss of lift, a subsequent nose-down spin, the specific actions required for recovery, and the feeling, after recovery, that you could tackle absolutely anything!

Tuesday 15 March 2011

Well, that was easy.

Hello my Friends!

I have decided to start a blog.  Why?  Well, why not?  I have things to say.  Yes, I know, sometimes I mumble or smirk.  There is nothing like a good smirk, but you have to be careful because sometimes the wrong person will see your smirk and call you on it.  "What was that look for?"  they'll say.  In an attempt to cover, you can say that you were experimenting with what it might be like to have a stroke.  That'll shut them up. It's best to be subtle while smirking.  Mumbling is more difficult and offers less of a payoff.  I mumble when I start making an effort to communicate but then some part of me suggests that it really isn't worth it and I should save my energy.  By then, I have started formulating words and sentences and they're on their way out.  The only thing left is to fail to enunciate.  Voila!  Mumbling:  "Pardon me?  I didn't hear you."  "Oh, I weash flingresh pantsington."  If you say that with conviction and a look that suggests that they should understand, you can get them to nod as if they do.  Point-Suzanne

Why the title, "Crave the Spin?"  Back in the 90's, I almost got my pilot's license.  I passed my written test and still have my radio license.  I was soooo close to taking the flight test, but it was expensive and the kids needed food, or shelter, or something.  I loved flying.  I was good at it. I liked all the meteorology and the navigation, figuring fuel consumption and reading maps.   I'll never forget the first time I soloed.  The instructor, Kim, and I had done some touch-and-goes at the Lindsay Airport.  Then, she got out and told me to go fly.  It was so cool. There I was, flying on my own.  All that sky was mine.  The only thing better were the SPINS.  Every pilot has to learn how to get the plane in and out of a spin.  This is when the air stops flowing over the wings providing lift.  "Lift" is handy when you're flying.  Very handy indeed.  Without lift, the nose drops. It drops straight down and you're looking at the ground coming at you in a hurry.  But you go through the process of this, and that, and you slowly pull yourself out of it.  It requires complete concentration and the ability to not freak out.  It was the best. I felt like I could handle absolutely anything. I haven't experienced anything like that since.  So, yes, I  crave the spin...that part of life that gets your juices flowing, and that is what I will try to write about; thoughts of sanity, challenge, authenticity,passion, and tremendous effort.  Yes, one day I will finish my pilot's license.  I simply must.  In the meantime, I will take you flying with me here. Belt yourselves in. It'll be a blast!

Suzanne

3 comments:

  1. I am belted and ready. Thanks for the first of many delicious lifts! Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look out Cyber Space - here she comes.
    Way to go girl, can't wait to read more!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. M-m-m-m-m. Great analogy for life. Things are always spinning out of control. If we embrace the nose dives, they can be exhilarating. Can't say I crave the spins, but coming the feeling you get when you get yourself out of one, is sooo rewarding. Thanks for flying solo with this blog and taking us along for the ride.

    ReplyDelete