"Spin" in aviation training: a "stall" or loss of lift, a subsequent nose-down spin, the specific actions required for recovery, and the feeling, after recovery, that you could tackle absolutely anything!

Thursday 5 May 2011

Makes Sense.

Someone said, and I wish I could remember who, that when you look ahead at the map of your life, you really have no idea where you're going to end up.  You may think you do, but there are so many choices and situations ahead that it is rare for anyone to be able to take a direct route to where they want to go.  Conversely, when you look back at where you have been, everything makes sense.  The trick is, to believe in this "sense," so when it feels like you're lost, you don't lose your perspective on the map you have in front of you. You need to believe that you'll get where you need to go.


Last night I was honoured to host Port Perry High School's "Spring Rhapsody."  This is a night of the most amazing music played by the most amazing kids lead by the most amazing teachers.  I have written of the school and the people before and I can't say enough about what a wonderful environment these teachers nurture.  But, for me, last night was a welcomed solid directional mark on a rather jittery compass rose.  I found myself, while in the midst of a bit of tumbling, searching, and sifting in my life, pleasantly surprised to be standing right where I needed to be.  I wasn't digging a ditch.  I wasn't selling cotton candy at a fair.  And I wasn't giving a speech at the U.N..  I was, instead, speaking the truth for an art form and an environment that touches my soul.  The opportunity to do so came, seemingly, out of nowhere and there could not have been a better time.


I'm not sure how it happened, but it did.  For me this was a reminder to believe in that "sense" and to not panic.  The evening was enormously helpful in helping to re-energize my perspective and to, perhaps, not be so afraid of the future. There is good in believing whatever it is you are wired to believe in.  And for all of life's struggle and question, I have to believe that when I look back, it will, indeed, all make sense.  I am grateful.














1 comment:

  1. You were indeed right where you were and are supposed to be Suz. It was a delight to watch someone thoroughly enjoying themselves and an audience so thoroughly enjoying you. The picture of joy my dear. Well done.

    ReplyDelete