"Spin" in aviation training: a "stall" or loss of lift, a subsequent nose-down spin, the specific actions required for recovery, and the feeling, after recovery, that you could tackle absolutely anything!

Thursday 14 April 2011

House Showings and The Wolverine.

Selling your home is a lot of work.  It's not so much the paper work involved, but keeping the place a-sparkle for showings.  I like a clean house but I also have hobbies.  I like to go out now and then.  Sometimes I will eat a sandwich or play a tune.  I have been known to garden and don't get me started on going cycling.  Just don't.  The point is that I don't want to be cleaning all the time.  As a result, sometimes there is dust, or towels, or something evil that needs to be dealt with, like a wolverine in the basement, again.


I know, I can't have it both ways.  If I want to sell the house, I must make sure that it's clean for each showing. But what I would like, is some sort of guarantee that, before I vacuum the finish off of the wood floors,  the people coming through are really interested and not just "kicking tires."  So how about a little something for the effort?  How about a nice shiraz, or some bath salts, or bread that is really good toasted? How about a recipe for soup or a pack of 60 watt bulbs? What about dental floss?  Everyone needs dental floss. Just something, anything to take away that clinical, intrusive flavour and give a nod to me, the homeowner.  


You may think it petty, but this kind of offering would go a long way in making showings less of a pain.  All I need to know is that you appreciate the work I did in lieu of you, a complete stranger, coming through my home; the place where I live, and think, and cheat at "Scrabble."  I don't think it's too much to ask.  Of course actually buying the house would trump any little gift of soaps or that tastefully appointed home suturing kit.  But until that happens, I wouldn't dig around too much in the basement when you come.  I haven't gotten to actually dealing with that wolverine yet.  I've been kind of busy, you know, doin' stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment