"Spin" in aviation training: a "stall" or loss of lift, a subsequent nose-down spin, the specific actions required for recovery, and the feeling, after recovery, that you could tackle absolutely anything!

Saturday 9 April 2011

"Pytor, Pass the Shovel, Would You?

You would not believe the help I get with my gardens.  We have a fairly big lot, adorned with several perennial gardens, a pond and waterfall, and a French drain which is an escape route for water runoff during a hard rain, through a shallow trench lined with small rocks.  Today was "clean out the French drain" day.  It's  a tedious job involving the removal of all of the rocks, the reshaping of the trench and then the replacement of said rocks.  Today, thanks to my Ipod, I had Tchaikovsky helping me and I couldn't have enjoyed myself more.

I adore Tchaikovsky.  Today, just for me, he played the most wonderful music while I worked.  I had to stop several times as his notes wrapped themselves around my heart; such a genius.  And I wonder how he handled such passion.  Was he in a rush to get the notes written down, or did they arrive, just in time as he was ready for them in his head? I'm curious. I would love to know.

There are many great composers and musical wizards out there.  Several have helped me in my garden;  Duke Ellington, Stanley Clarke, Bernstein, Gershwin, Florence and the Machine, Mumford & Sons, Wagner...the list is varied and long.  And they've all been so helpful.  But today it was Pytor Ilyich Tchaikovsky and I couldn't have been happier.  I only wish he was really there with me.  I would have made a nice dinner and we could have talked about life, creativity, and perhaps, endurance...and together, admired our day's work. That would have been something a little out of the ordinary I think.


No comments:

Post a Comment